Minecraft Heads v2.0 - Open Beta

LordRazen
Site Admin

Minecraft Heads v2.0 - Open Beta

Post by LordRazen »

Once upon a time, there was a downloadable land full of decorative heads. The founder collected many designs for his growing realm.

Soon, this land of hundreds became populated with thousands of heads, making it difficult for visitors to even load.

Because it was no longer convenient to store thousands of heads on a map, the kingdom (website) of Minecraft Heads v1.0 was born.

After years of heads, more heads, and even more heads, the collection had grown into a vast empire that outgrew its current confines and did not allow for any ambitions MCH Staff wished to fulfill.

A new dream was born, and for a long time, it was a dream so nebulous and intangible, the founder was only allowed to whisper about it or it would otherwise break.

One day, a decision was made, and the dream transformed into a plan...
A plan that seemed almost impossible to realize.

Many obstacles were still in the way, such as a single person building the new country (website) and learning how to build as he went, as well as a core group of trusted volunteers holding the fort and testing the new builds.
But, where there's a will, there's a way. As time passed, one obstacle after the other was removed.

During the construction, rare news about this ambitious plan was shared.

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

Finally, after over 8 years of starting the original Minecraft-Heads website, today is the day!

We are announcing the beta release of the new site:

-=>> MINECRAFT HEADS v2.0 <<=-

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

What's Minecraft Heads v2.0?
Minecraft Heads v2.0 is a full rewrite of the actual website Minecraft Heads v1.0.

Minecraft Heads v1.0 came to its limitations in many spots and the framework we used carried a lot of overhead which made the website slow.

So we decided to do a full rewrite of the website and migrate everything to the new version

Now this rewrite as well as the migration is done and we're ready to develop new features a lot quicker!

And in case you wonder where to find it: You're already visiting the forum of v2.0.

Click here to go to the main website:

https://v2.minecraft-heads.com

What new features are already implemented?

Improved Heads Search
  • The search for heads improved a lot! By default, the search result now shows tags and heads seperated. In the old version, the result from all tags and heads were combined and shown as a result. This made it rather hard to find your head if it was from a certain tag. Now those results are seperated.
  • You can now search for player heads as well, directly from the start page.
  • You can include or exclude heads with a certain tag. With this new feature you can filter large search results to quickly find the head which fits best (Patreon).
  • Additional search feature like "exact search" or "search for id/s" are also available.
Head Command Generator
  • Instead of two generators for custom heads and player heads, there's only one Head Command Generator anymore. If the head exists already, the generator will directly lead you to the corresponding page. Else, it'll create custom head and player head commands and will contribute the head to our database.
  • If you're logged in, you have even more options: You can directly add tags and a comment to your submission in order to deliver more input for us, to name and tag the head correctly. You also have draft mode available if you dont want to submit your head.
  • The generator also has an improved doublette validation to find similar heads and skinfiles.
Heads Area
  • The former "Tag Directory" is now fully implemented into the website so you can browse our related tags easily and find even more related heads!
  • Player Head and Custom Head pages are now directly connected with a button if there's a player head available.
  • Instead of only the first contributor, we now list all contributors of a head on a heads page. Also the contributors are no longer static names, they're bound to player accounts (uuids in the background) so we also detect namechanges.
  • Featured tags (like Christmas etc), a random "Tag of the Day" as well as newest heads are now shown within the sidebar.
  • The heads are now seperated into a "Main Collection" and a "User Collection". Why the "Main Collection" include all the best heads, the "User Collection" will include all other contributions as well as they are somehow recognizeable and do not show illegal content. This is a preparation to develop further features so you can easily overview all heads you ever created!
  • You can display more heads per page and change the sorting by id, name and hits (Patreon feature)
API
  • Not a new feature yet, but I guess many will search it here: The API is still available as it was before and will be updated within one of the first bigger updates after the v2.0 release. The reason why the API wasnt modified yet is simple: A full web release is so much work and so many things might happen, I didnt wanna migrate the website AND the API at the same time to avoid problems ;-)
Armor Stands Area
  • The former datapacks area is now called "Armor Stands"
  • You can now search for armor stands by name and by creator.
  • Armor Stands are now also tagged so you can easily find related armor stand creations.
Accounts
  • Not a feature, but very important at that point: If you want to regain access to your account, simply use the "forgot password" function.
  • Within our account settings, you can add your Minecraft playername. This playername is then used for the head command generator as well as the "My Heads" menu link, which quickly redirect to all your published heads.
  • As an additional comfort feature, you can also enable the "/minecraft:" prefix as well as your prefered Minecraft version for all commands (Patreon).
Wiki
  • Instead of kinda messed up FAQ pages we now have a wiki were we organized all our info articles.
General
  • The website is fully responsive and can also be browsed on the mobile phone easily.

What are the next steps?
Minecraft Heads v2.0 is now in open beta. Feel free to use the website and test everything out.

In case you had an account on v1.0 already, you can reclaim the account in v2.0 with the "Lost your password" function.

Since the migration of the data takes some time, not everything is deployed yet: Right now, the users and the forum are fully migrated. That's also the reason why the registration on v1.0 is disabled and why the forum in v1.0 is in read-only mode.

If you would like to use the forum, you can use this forum already, it wont be changed or overwritten anymore.

Also the content of the armor stands section as well as the wiki is the final content already.

However, the heads area has all the data of the last migration run, but there'll be one final migration during the next days.

So in case you use the Custom Head Generator of v2.0 right now, this data will be lost after the final migration of the heads data.

Lets sum it up:
User Accounts: Feel free to reclaim them, they wont be overwritten anymore.
Forum: Feel free to use it already
Armorstands: They include the v1.0 data and the update next monday will also be on v2.0
Heads: The data is not final yet and will be overwritten. You'll also see some messed up tag descriptions on the page - this is known and will be fixed. In case you need to use a Head Generator, please use the one from v1.0 yet.

The website will now be in open beta for a short while. The final release of v2.0 is planned for mid of next week.

After that, https://v2.minecraft-heads.com will be moved to https://minecraft-heads.com

The old version will be moved to https://v1.minecraft-heads.com and still run as a legacy website, but many tools will be deactivated and it'll not be maintained anymore.

I had an account on MCHv1.0. How do I get it back?
In case you had an account on v1.0 already, you can reclaim the account in v2.0 with the "Lost your password" function.

I think I found a bug on v2.0
Yep... that can happen and that's what the open beta is for :D
Please feel free to let us know in Discord, this forum or via private message.

Thanks for your help :)

Known Bugs:
  • You're not shown as logged in to the forum after roughly 24 hours. Therefor you have to logout and login on the website again.

Patreons
One of the main goals of using Patreon was financial support for v2.0 to make it possible. This has finally happened!

Now while the final release is about to happen, the Patreons will also get a bigger change:

Silver Patreons
  • Use all features of the improved head search
  • Use the improved list features, for example display more heads per page
  • Use some comfort features like displaying server commands ("/minecraft:give") instead of singleplayer commands.
  • Browse the website without ads
Golden Patreons
  • Get all features of Patreon Silver
  • Get early access to the newest features in development
There're even more plans with the Patreons, but more about this later ;-)

Would like to join? Here you go :)

Thanks a lot and welcome to the Patrons!

A big thanks!!!
At this point it's time for a big thanks!

Over the years of redevelopment, I had to much support from so many people!

Firstly: Many thanks to the Minecraft Heads team! Without the team taking care of most of the daily tasks, I wouldn't have enough time to keep developing the site! Kiaria and the tagging team do a great job with the daily head tagging process! The armor stand team prepares the weekly release and is always perfecting the creations to make them look as good as possible!

A special thanks also goes out to chimericdream, who has been a huge support to me in the last few months of v2.0 development on the front end! Where I am not such a big fan of responsiveness and styling, he found a place where he could support the development!

Also a big thank you to the Patreons who have stood by my side over the years! The main goal was always to make v2.0 possible. Now that has finally happened!

And last but not least: My girlfriend which always believed in my plan and supported me with ideas and sometimes moral support! You've no idea how often I went to my desk and started coding in the evening or during the weekends... Good to have you by my side!

So... hopefully I could answer most of your questions.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in Discord!

Have fun visiting Minecraft Heads v2.0

~Razen
Attachments
welcome.png